Leopold Schaeli Award and Leon Korstjens Awards
Application for MCCEI Educational Assistance Scholarship
Amount: $1000 each
Availability and Deadline for Application: The Leon Korstjens Award is available in the spring, and the Leopold Schaeli Award is available in the fall. The bi-annual deadlines for receipt of applications is May 1st for the Leon Korstjens Award, and November 1st for the Leopold Schaeli Award.
These two $1000 scholarships are awarded to students each year through the Michigan Chefs de Cuisine Educational Institute (MCCEI). They may be awarded on the basis of merit to deserving individuals who meet Michigan residence requirements. The scholarships will be limited to Hospitality and Culinary Arts training in a post-secondary Michigan school. Such scholarships must be applied for through the Michigan Chefs de Cuisine Association. Previous recipients may reapply for additional scholarships.
Additional Document Requirements
Each of the following required documents must be uploaded along with your application. Use the upload window and submit button at the bottom of the application. Your documents must be saved as .doc or .pdf files. Please contact Kevin Brennan at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
1. Applicant essays: As separate documents (.doc or .pdf), the applicant will answer two (2) of the following questions, with the essays to be no more than 100 words each. These essays should be answered to the best of the applicant’s ability.
- What is your ultimate career goal and what steps will you need to take to attain this goal?
- What is your motivation for choosing a career in the culinary arts?
- What will be the greatest challenge facing the hospitality industry in the next five years?
- Why will formal education better prepare you for employment?
2. Recommendation letter from your MCCA member sponsor: Upload as a separate document (.doc or .pdf).
3. Recommendation letter from an instructor or employer: Upload as a separate document (.doc or .pdf).
4. Transcripts: Upload as separate documents (.doc or .pdf).